Change of Name FAQs

Requesting Change of Name Records

To legally change your name, it can be done by various methods and agencies. The records held at the Hawaiʻi State Archives are from the Lieutenant Governor’s office, and so only if you had your name changed through this office we may have the record here at the Public Archives. We hold records from 1910 through 2017, with a few from 1874 and 1907.

Q: I need a copy of my Change of Name record for _____________, what do I need?
A: Getting certified copies of this record is needed for various reasons, check with who is requesting the record about what exactly do you need (i.e. entire file, order/decree, multiple certified copies, apostille, etc.) since we do NOT know what is required and cannot advise you on what you should request.

Q: I need a copy of my Change of Name record, what information do you need?
A: You will need to provide the name that it was changed from (old) and the name it was changed to (new). If your name has changed multiple times, you will need to provide all the names that it was changed from and to. You will also need to know when you changed your name, exact date would be preferred but minimally we will need to know the year the name was changed.

Q: Is it possible to get a copy of a Change of Name record for someone else?
A: The Order or Decree is a public record, which can be released to anyone that request this part of the record.

Q: How can I get a copy of the entire file?
A: The entire file can only be released to the person who’s record it belongs to. Unless written permission is granted from the person(s) who are named on the Change of Name record, by power of attorney, or as a legal representative of the person (documentation will need to be provided) along with copies of the following will have to be presented:

  • A current government photo ID with the name that is ON the record. This ID must be valid and should not be expired.
  • If your name has changed several times, you will need to provide other documents to show the relationship to the name from the valid ID that is presented to the other name(s) by providing documents that have those previous name(s). This may include certified copies or originals of marriage certificate, passports, out of State licenses, etc.

Q: Can I get an Apostille for my certified copy of my Change of Name record?
A: If you need an Apostille for your certified copy of your Change of Name record, there is an additional form and payment that will be needed. Therefore, make sure you state you will need this when you contact us, and we will provide further instructions.

Q: How much does it cost to get certified copies?
A: The cost of certification is $2.25 plus $0.25 per page for each Change of Name record. This does not include postage, which will be an additional cost based on your order and where it is being mailed to. If you need multiple sets, you will need to multiply the certification cost and duplication fee.

Q: Can I order and pay online?
A: NO. You can download a form at and submit it to our email address ( [email protected] ) to make sure we have your record. Do not send payment until we have confirmed that we have the record you are requesting. We can only accept payment by personal check from a U.S. bank, money order from a U.S. financial institution or cash if you come in person.

Q: How long does it take to get certified copies of Change of Name records?
A: Generally once payment is collected and the correct documents are submitted, it will take 7 to 10 business days for our office to process this request, however this does not include postal services if copies are being mailed. Apostilles will require more time since the certified copies will be sent to the Lieutenant Governor’s office and then sent out to you.

Q: When should I request my Change of Name record?
A: As soon as possible. We can keep your request pending up to 2 months after making first contact with our office, however if no payment or further contact is made we will refile your record.