Spyware and related “adware,” are software sometimes downloaded from a web page, by following a link in an email or are installed with freeware or shareware software without the user’s knowledge. Spyware is used to track your internet activity, redirect your browser to certain web sites or monitor sites you visit. Spyware may also record your passwords and personal information to send to malicious web sites.
Follow these best practices:
- Read the freeware and shareware license agreement to see if adware or spyware is mentioned before installing the software.
- Choose to “close” any pop-up windows by clicking on the “X” in the top right corner.
- Do not respond to any dialogue boxes that appear unexpectedly; click on the “X”. Clicking on “No” or “Cancel” sometimes installs spyware.
- Beware of visiting website that are untrusted.
- Install software to detect spyware and adware on your PC.
Cyber Security Tips are provided by Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC), http://www.msisac.org