Commission Launches 2nd New Data Visualization AppPosted on Aug 1, 2014 in Main
The Hawaii Campaign Spending Commission launched a new data visualization application on its website, which will permit anyone to see how noncandidate committees which includes Super PACs are raising and spending money on 2014 state and county races.
In partnership with the State of Hawaii’s Office of Information Management & Technology (OIMT), Information & Communication Services Division (ICSD), and Socrata, the Commission unveiled its newest tool today on its website.
This new application will permit you to view charts of a noncandidate committee’s campaign spending data for a particular election period. Similar to the candidate committee application which was released in November 2013, this app will permit you to view pie charts, a geo-map and a bar chart from data derived from the noncandidate committees’ reports which are filed electronically with the Commission from the last 6 years. Highlights of the new app include:
- Percentage of how contributions are funded (by individuals, candidate committees, noncandidate committees, vendor/business)
- Percentage of contributions received from in-state versus out-of-state including geo-maps
- Percentage of contributions by states as well as zip codes
- Fundraising activity
- Contributions to candidates categorized by office
- Contributions to candidates categorized by party
- Percentage of expenditures by category
- Percentage of expenditures versus independent expenditures
- Percentage of in-state versus out-of-state expenditures
This application was conceived to provide greater transparency and accountability in government and enable the public to follow the money of noncandidate committees’ participation in the elections in Hawaii. “We hope this app will increase interest and voter engagement as we enter the primary election on August 9th and move towards the general election on November 4th,” said the Commission’s Executive Director Kristin Izumi-Nitao.
For more information, contact:
Executive Director Kristin Izumi-Nitao
Associate Director Anthony Baldomero
Campaign Spending Commission
Phone: (808) 586-0285