Ballot Issue Committees
On November 6, 2018, voters will have the opportunity to decide on 2 state constitution and 12 county charter (Honolulu-1, Hawaii-2, Maui-3, Kauai-6) amendments.
Ballot issue committees register with the Commission for the exclusive purpose of making or receiving contributions, making expenditures, or incurring financial obligations for or against any question or issue appearing on the ballot in the next applicable election. See, HRS §11-302 & §11-327. These committees are prohibited from receiving contributions or making expenditures to influence the nomination or election of a candidate to office. See, HRS §11-327. Further, these committees are not subject to contribution limits. See, HRS §11-358. Following the election for which the issue appears on the ballot, these committees will then have 90 days to terminate their registration with the Commission and return all surplus funds to the contributors or donate the funds to a community service, educational, youth, recreational, charitable, scientific, or literary organization; otherwise, the surplus funds shall escheat to the Hawaii Election Campaign Fund. See, HRS §11-327(c).
The following is a list of the 6 ballot issue committees that are registered with the Commission to support or oppose a question or issue that will appear on the ballot in 2018 including links to their organizational reports and filed disclosure reports:
Constitutional Convention Question
- HGEA Ballot Issue Account – Organizational Report / Disclosure Reports (Reg. 10/4/18)
- Preserve Our Hawaii – Organizational Report / Disclosure Reports (Reg. 10/1/18)
Surcharge on Investment Real Property to Support Public Education Question
- Affordable Hawaii Coalition PAC – Organizational Report / Disclosure Reports (Reg. 7/26/18)
- HSTA for Schools Our Keiki Deserve – Organizational Report / Disclosure Reports (Reg. 4/30/18)
- Retail Merchants of Hawaii – Organizational Report / Disclosure Reports (Reg. 10/5/18)
- Watumull Properties Corp. – Organizational Report / Disclosure Reports (Reg. 8/28/18)