King Kalakaua Photograph Exhibition
In commemoration of the 183rd birthday of King Kalākaua, the Hawaiʻi State Archives is pleased to announce the King Kalākaua Photograph Exhibition. The 104 images in this digital exhibition contain all of the images found in the eight Royalty – Kalakaua folders from the State Archives’ main Photograph Collection, presented as high-resolution preservation color scans. The original photographic prints, which are kept at the State Archives, have been reproduced with color calibration targets and are available at 800dpi. Along with the high-quality digitized images, the reverse of these unique prints have also been scanned to offer some contextual information about the image. Please note that the information written on the reverse of these prints has not been verified but presented for informational purposes only.
- A photo of Kalākaua working in the palace in 1883, in which an early telephone is visible (PP-96-15-007)
- Kalākaua on the Hawaiian Ship Kaimiloa (PP-96-13-013)
- Several photos of Kalākaua with Robert Louis Stevenson (PP-96-14-004) and (PP-96-14-001)
- Photos from Kalākaua's foreign trip in 1881, including Japan (PPWD-15-5-012), Hong Kong (PP-96-13-001), and London (PP-96-13-006). You can also read his letters from those visits in the online exhibition.
- Also included are two folders of photographs withdrawn from public circulation due to their delicate or deteriorating condition (PPWD-15-4 and PPWD-15-5)
As a reminder, the Hawaiʻi State Archives is a government institution, and therefore the State Archives does not charge permission fees nor claim the copyright to these images. It is the user’s obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Archives’ collections.
|Folder Name/Description||Folder Number|
|Kalākaua, King: In dark military uniform with embroidered belt||PP-96-11|
|Kalākaua, King: In dark military uniform, belt not embroidered||PP-96-12|
|Kalākaua, King: In groups (1)||PP-96-13|
|Kalākaua, King: In groups (2)||PP-96-14|
|Kalākaua, King: In civilian clothes||PP-96-15|
|Kalākaua, King: In light-colored military uniform||PP-96-16|
|Kalākaua, King (Withdrawn Photos)||PPWD-15-4|
|Kalākaua (Withdrawn Photos)||PPWD-15-5|
|Back to State Archives’ Home|